The popularity of high-tech items has increased significantly in recent years. Despite their high price, why do people still choose expensive Smart TVs? Will cheaper set-top boxes eventually replace them? In this article, we’ll explore the differences between Android TV boxes and Smart TVs and discuss the benefits and drawbacks of each.
Smart TVs and their advantages
Even novice users can quickly become comfortable with the interface of a Smart TV. All of the most downloaded programs are already installed, and even someone who is not tech-savvy can use it right away without consulting instructions or installing third-party software.
Smart TVs have a straightforward interface and their apps can be managed with just the provided remote.
Benefits of set-top boxes
Most Android TV boxes come pre-installed with programs such as a media player, YouTube, and the Google Play Store. However, the user is responsible for installing any additional components. Android TVs have a more extensive app library than Smart TVs.
Here are some of the advantages of Android TV boxes:
- Use of the Google Play Store, which has over 7,000 available apps, with most of them being free.
- The ability to command devices with voice using Google Assistant, now compatible with Android TV streaming devices like the MAG500A that incorporates a voice remote.
- Help from peripheral devices such as keyboards, mice, gamepads, memory cards, and external media can be used with set-top boxes.
- Price-wise, while a 42-inch smart TV from a reputable brand can cost more than $350, Android TV set-top boxes can be purchased for as little as $80.
- Set-top boxes can be hooked up to any television, from an older model to a Smart TV.
Do Smart TVs allow app installation?
Smart TVs come equipped with preloaded apps like YouTube and other video-streaming apps. If you feel that your Smart TV is missing something, you can always download more apps from the store the TV was made for. However, the availability of apps is restricted to only those that the manufacturer has opted to transfer to its platform.
Android TV is more adaptable to new technologies than Smart TVs. Android TV has a built-in Google Play Store with access to over a half-million apps and supports the installation of third-party applications.
Comparison between Smart TV and the MAG box
The primary advantage of a Smart TV is that it requires only one remote. If you are using a set-top box, you need two remotes: one for the TV and one for the set-top box. However, getting a universal remote control or turning on HDMI-CEC can easily remedy this shortcoming. With an Android TV set-top box, you can enjoy all the features of a Smart TV at a lower price and with more flexibility.
Which Is better, a set-top box, or a Smart TV?
With an Android TV set-top box, you can enjoy all the features of a Smart TV at a lower price and with more flexibility – use Google services, voice search, and thousands of apps on the Google Play Store. In other words, if you choose to go with a set-top box, you won’t be missing out on anything.
Check out the set-top box catalog at Infomir.Store and choose your MAG.